Custom Search

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Relook and Recommitment

I made a deal with myself that no matter what, I would devote 2 hours a day to bettering my fitness. I always seem to have too much on my plate, and exercise and my fitness seem to always get shoved off to the side. I told myself the other day when I was on a walk that if I thought I was going to die because I wasn't doing something specific in my life, I would be sure to do that thing everyday, so why is exercise any different? This too can affect my life, its length and quality, in fact it probably affects my life more than anything else I do and for some reason I still let it move to the back burner all the time.

I KNOW that I feel better when I am exercising regularly. It changes my outlook on things, it helps me deal with stress better and even if it didn't do any of those things, it always makes me feel better about myself and that is always a positive thing. In fact, self esteem alone can change whether I get things accomplished, get colds, get sleep, and any number of things, so why I let this slide all the time is stupid on my part.

So even if I have to stay up late (like last night) to squeeze it in, I am going to get two hours in. If I have to say no to some of the millions of things I volunteer to handle, I am going to get two hours in. If I actually have to let someone down because I can't fullfill a task for them, I am going to get two hours in.

I have also decided that I am going to do something fun for me (even if it is only a 15 minute fun thing) everyday. Be creative, sing a song, have lunch with a friend, catch up on my blogs, read a book, write in my journal, study my Japanese....whatever it might be, I will put aside some time everyday for myself. Between becoming more fit, and devoting some fun time for myself each day, I expect to see some results in all other aspects of my life. I feel like I have gotten too caught up in the mundane everyday tasks (which are compounded by my procrastination), and I am not enjoying life to the fullest. I need to be doing that...enjoying it...after all, isn't that what we are all really here for?

So on that note, I am off for the second hour of exercise today...even though it is already 8:21pm on a Tuesday night...I will get it in.

2 comments:

aviva5271 said...

You're an inspiration, D. I need to make a very similar comittment. I procrastnate and then I find excuses, and then I fail. Here's to new beginnings.

... said...

I just got back home...I ended up going all the way to Zanpa at 9:15 at night and walking there for 45 minutes. I threw in some geocaching (but didn't find it) while I was there so I did the "fun" thing too...haha.