Custom Search

Monday, September 19, 2011

17 Day Diet

So I am starting the 17 day diet today...figured I could give it a shot and see how it goes. It can be at least a jumpstart on my fitness goals if nothing else and like the author says, you can do anything for 17 days, right?

It has 4 cycles of 17 days each, the first of which is high protein, veggie and low fat, and sugar. You are allowed to eat as much as you want of lean chicken and low fat fish, egg whites, and good veggies (no corn or potatoes). You have to have two low sugar fruits a day (before 2pm) which excludes melons, pineapple and bananas (because they are higher in sugar). You can have 1 to 2 servings of a good fat (like olive oil). You can also have up to 2 servings of a probiotic (which for me is low sugar yogurt). You need to drink at least 6 8oz glasses of water per day and they recommend drinking green tea as much as possible too since it has all kinds of good stuff too.

Exercise, due to the low level of carbs, is only required for 17 mins per day, but I hope to do more. I figure that it will make up for the tsp of sugar I add to my coffee or tea in the morning and I don't want to give up the progress I am making in my running and such.

I knew that I was going to start this today so I actually started reducing things over the weekend so today wouldn't be absolutely terrible or shocking to my system. I think I am also going to log my food as well as my exercise so I can be more accountable and reduce cheating....LOL.

The reason I picked this one was because it really promotes healthy eating (as you go through the cycles, you work your way back to eating almost everything but fatty and sugary foods), it is quick, it is pretty easy to follow and you don't have to do all the cycles if you reach your goals (which I am hoping to do before the end of cycle 2). It sucks that it means no rice (kills my sushi habit) for a while, but I'll get back there after the diet is over. I didn't weigh myself before breakfast this morning, so I'll probably wait until this evening to weigh myself (on the Wii).

No comments: